Interesting Facts About Hummingbirds
Love hummingbirds? So do I! Here are some interesting facts about hummingbirds you may not know.
Hummingbirds are the only bird that can fly backward. The birds can also hover in mid-air at rapid wing-flapping rates, which vary from around 12 beats per second in the largest species, to in excess of 80 in some of the smallest.
The female lays two, white eggs that are the size of a jellybean. The nest of hummers is normally cupped shape and about the size of a walnut half shell. The nest is made with spider webs and lichen. You can add nesting balls with chemical-free cotton to aid them in nesting.
Hummingbirds love tree sap and will often follow around yellow belly sapsucker woodpeckers .
After the sapsucker is finished drilling in a tree, the hummingbird will take the remaining sap flowing sap as nourishment.
Hummingbirds are fast little buggers their top speeds exceed 34 mph and some species can dive at speeds in excess of 49 mph.
Hummingbirds depend on flower nectar or sugar water to fuel their high metabolisms and hovering flight patterns,
Females generally are larger than male hummingbirds requiring more nectar than males to keep up with the energy demands of their larger body size.
Many plants that are pollinated by hummingbirds produce flowers in shades of red, orange, and bright pink. Although, the birds will take nectar from flowers of other colors as well.
Besides flower and feeder nectar a hummingbird eats a variety of insects while in flight, including mosquitoes, fruit flies, and gnats. While at rest on branches, the bird will eat aphids and spiders.
Hummingbirds only spend 10% – 15% of their time gathering nectar, the remaining time they are perched and at rest.
If you add a swing for the birds to perch on, you can see them at rest.
Hummingbird Prints For Your Home
Cool Products on Amazon
- Includes 1 hummingbird feeders 16 ounce with 10 feeding ports – With 1 Attachable Ant Trap – Bundled With 1 Adjustable Bird Feeder Chain.
- Bright red color attract birds of many species – The Yellow Flower feeding ports;discourage bees and wasps from entering the feeder.
- Fill with nectar then screw the base on, and flip it over. It will not leak while upside down Prevents the occurrence of rainwater contaminating the nectar.
- Made from natural dried hibiscus grass. Mildewproof, environmentally friendly.
- The hummingbird house is approximately 4.5 x 4.5 x 8.7 inches and the hole size is approximately 1.6 x 1.8 inches.
- Works to trap wasps from getting to feeders from spring through fall.
- Design with multiple entry tunnels
- Pour on inch of sugary soda or fruit juice in bottom of container. Hang from nylon cord anywhere in yard.
AFFILIATE POLICY: Posts on this site may contain links to outside vendors that pay me a commission when you purchase from them, at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting this site!